September 18, 2010

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

I woke up this morning with a weird feeling - I didn't know what was wrong, hadn't gone to bed upset, I slept alright, got a full 8 hours... but there was something not quite right. It sort of made me feel like I do when I'm cranky, but there was a melancholy undertone (overtone?) to it. Got to work and was fine, but couldn't shake the feeling, and realized that it definitely wasn't crankiness - there was something else going on, but I kept trying to ignore it. Found out later that something had indeed happened during the day - that "something" and the subsequent "now-I-know-and-how-are-you-going-to-handle-it" conversation did not make me happy. It didn't make me angry either, just sad and unsure of what to do now. This is surprising, considering what it was - no, there was no infidelity, at least that I know of, but it still hurt since trust was put into doubt - again.

I could let it go, but could I? I mean, could I really let it go and not let it stew or build resentment? I know I can/could forgive, but can I truly forget? Do I just need time? Will more discussions help, or is this something I have to now figure out on my own?  If you've talked about an issue with the person for so many hours that you have to start measuring in days - how do you know when it's been enough and it's time to give it up already?

So was this a self-fulfilling prophecy? Or some coincidence-slash-bad-timing? Am I not willing to let it go because I was/am already feeling odd? Or because I'm tired of having the same conversation over and over again and not seeing anything change...

No comments:

Post a Comment